Frequently asked questions about moving
Frequently asked questions about moving

Most people don’t move regularly from one country to another. You can find some of the most frecuently asked questions about moving on this page. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

What does a move cost?

This is one of the most frecuently asked questions about moving. The price of a move depends on several factors: the volume of the goods, the origin and destination addresses, accessability to the residences, the amount of packaging required, cost of parking permits, whether storage is required and the availability of teams and equipments.

How can I get a quote for my move?

You can contact Wisse Moving by phone, email, or whatsapp. We will make an appointment for a pre-move survey by video call. If your move is especially small we can also determine the volume over the phone or by email. If you move is especially large then we may decide to do a pre-move survey in person.

Is the quote free of charge, without commitment?

Yes, preparing a quote for your move is free of charge, and you are not committed to anything. We will prepare a detailed proposal in writing, and send it to you by email. All the inclusions and exclusions of our services will be clearly explained. No strings attached, no surprises!

Would I have a personal move manager?

Yes, you will have a personal move manager for the who process, from the moment we prepare the quote until delivery. You can contact the move manager anytime by email, phone or whatsapp.

How much time in advance do I have to book my move?

For an international move, we recommend applying for quotes about 2 months in advance. It would be recommendable to book your move with at least a month in advance, especially in the Summer season when there are many people wanting to move.

Do I have to pack my own boxes?

Wisse Moving can take care of packaging all your personal belongings into boxes. If you move internationally this is the most common option. Our crew would bring all the boxes on the moving day and everything will be duly packed. For a move outside of the EU we normally pack the boxes.

If you move within the EU or locally, then you can pack your own boxes as well. The total price for the move will be lower, but you have to be a bit handy and have enough spare time.

Do I have to disassemble the furniture?

Wisse Moving will disassemble furniture only if this is necessary. If you have smallish furniture, like chests of drawers, nightstands, chairs, side table etc etc., it would be normally better not to disassemble them. For larger items like bed, wardrobes, large tables etc., we will handle the disassembling.
We can assess whether disassembling is required when we do the pre-move survey.

Do I have to pack the furniture?

Wisse Moving will always take care of protecting the furniture. For local moves and moves within the EU we usually wrap the furniture with blankets. For overseas moves and for especially fragile or valuable pieces of furniture we would “export wrap” the furniture. We will take care of duly protecting all the furniture for any move we carry out.

What is the best method for moving?

The best method to carry out your move depends on many factors: the addresses, the volume, whether the goods have to arrive urgently, availability of teams and equipments etc. We will find the best option for your particular case.

Can I move to any country with Wisse Moving?

Wisse Moving is an expert in international move from and to Spain. We can handle your move to most countries in the world. We have done moves to exotic countries like BoraBora, Trinidad & Tobago, South Sudan, Afghanistan and Iran. We have a very complete door-to-door service to many countries.

Does my move have to be customs cleared?

Whether your move has to be customs cleared depends on where you are moving from and moving to. For moves within the European Union, normally customs clearance is not required. For moves to or from countries that are not EU members customs clearance is always required. Wisse Moving takes care of the customs clearance.

Can Customs inspect my move?

For moves that originate or have their destination outside the EU, there is always a possibility that Customs will decide to carry out an inspection. In the vast majority of cases, Customs does not inspect containers leaving from Spain. However, to some countries, such as the UAE, documentary checks are very frequent and can cause delays in the shipment. In some isolated cases, Customs may decide to send the container through a scanner. There is also the possibility of a physical inspection of the contents. A scanner check or a physical check can be quite expensive (in terms of container handling, transportation, loading/unloading, storage, etc.). The costs will always be billed to the customer.
For the arrival of containers to other countries, inspections are much more frequent. To countries such as the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, Customs inspects 100% of containers. To the US, approximately one in four containers has some type of inspection.

Will my move be insured?

Wisse Moving offers a transport insurance for all services carry out. The premium depends on the value of your goods, and of the origen and destination. Contact us and we’ll inform you in detail.

What payment methods are there?

For an international move, you normally pay 50% upon reserving our services, and the rest on the first day of the move. Payment is by bank transfer, never in cash or with cheques. You can also pay by credit card. We only accept credit/debit cards from banks from EU countries. Bank commissions might apply.

Do I have to pay VAT on my move?

The rules for payment of IVA /VAT are as follows:
– If you are a private client moving within the EU you pay IVA 21% on all moving services.
– If the invoice goes in the name of a non-Spanish company with a valid European VAT number then you don’t pay IVA. You can check whether your company has a valid EU VAT number here.
– If your move is an export outside of the EU, or an import into the EU, then you don’t pay IVA over the moving services. You don’t pay IVA over moves to or from the UK.

I need an invoice in my company’s name. Is that possible?

We will make the invoice either in your name or in a company’s name. In order to prepare the invoice we need:
– In the name of a private person: full name, address and DNI or NIE number. We might need a copy of your DNI or NIE and passport.
– In the name of a company: name of the company, address and CIF or VAT number.

Can Wisse Moving store my goods?

Yes, we offer temporal storage all over the world. We are a member of the International Association of Movers (IAM), for which we can offer storage in all the main cities. The storage costs depend on the location of the storage and the volume of the goods.

Can Wisse Moving assemble my furniture after delivery?

Yes, we can assemble your furniture as well after delivery. Depending on the work to be done extra charges may apply.

Can I include any type of goods in my move?

A move usually consists of things that can be found at home that are for personal use, in other words personal belongings and used furniture. Other objects, such as medicines, alcohol, plants, animals, weapons, perishable or dangerous things etc. may be prohibited from including in a move, depending on the destination. We will inform you of the restrictions when preparing the proposal.

Can I include plants in my move?

In a local move, or direct moves within the EU there is usually no problem.
For part-load moves, moves that have to go through storage, or shipping by container or by air, plants cannot be included.

Can I include a safe in my move?

You can include a safe in your move, but it has to be unlocked and empty. Extra charges may apply if the safe is very heavy and special equipment is required.

Can I include money, jewelry, precious stones, coins etc. in my move?

We do not accept transporting these objects. We recommend finding a different solution for transport any objects with a particular high value such as jewelry.

Can I include medicines in my move?

We recommend never to take medications in the move. In many countries it is not allowed to take medicines as part of the move, or require to show prescriptions. To avoid problems, we do not accept medications as part of an international move that has to pass through Customs.

Can I take food in my move?

It depends. You can never include open food containers or perishable food. Non-perishable food, such as closed cans or bottles of olive oil, can be brought to destinations within the EU. For removals by container or outside the EU we will inform you depending on the country. As a general rule we do not accept food.

Can I include alcohol / wine in my move?

One of the most frecuently asked questions about moving is if wine can be included in the move.
Within the EU there is no problem, as long as it is a quantity for personal consumption.
For Islamic countries alcohol can never be included.
For most countries there are restrictions or it is prohibited.
To other countries (eg Canada, Australia or Singapore), declaring alcohol and having an import permit, it can be taken. Of course, import duties would be paid on alcohol.
For moving to Canada, alcohol cannot be included in winter: due to the low temperatures the bottles can freeze.

Can I include an electric vehicle in my move?

For moves within Spain or in the EU by truck we can transport your electric bicycle ot electric scooter without any problem.
We do not accept electric vehicles if your move is by sea container or by airfreight.
For electric cars, please consult the options with us.

Can I bring weapons in my move? If I have a weapons permit?

We NEVER accept weapons or ammunition in a move, not even if you have a weapons permit.

Are there other forbidden goods I should know about?

Above all, what cannot be included in a move is of common sense: anything perishable, dangerous, toxic, radioactive must be left out of the move. This includes gas bottles, firecrackers or fireworks, bottles of bleach etc.

Can I travel in the same truck or van with the move?

No, it is strictly forbidden to travel in the truck or van together with your move. Furthermore we often do part-load transports with large trucks that carry several moves. These trucks make stops on the way to load and unload moves.

Can I transport my car or motorbike in the move?

You can transport a vehicle within the EU without any problems.
For destination outside of the EU the regulations differ by country. Importing vehicles is very restricted to most countries, and simply forbidden to some countries. To countries like the US and Canada for example vehicles have to meet the environmental and emission standards.

Can I import my car or motorbike into Spain?

It depends. Importing vehicles is strongly regularized in Spain. Depending on your particular situation you might have to pay import duties and taxes. Contact us, and together with our customs agent we can look into the possibilities.

Is a parking permit required for my move?

In most cities a parking permit is required to carry out a move, and a parking space has to be reserved in advance. Without a permit there is a chance that the police does not let us load or unload, or that the service cannot be carried out. In many cities Wisse Moving can take care of applying for the permit.

What are the terms and conditions for Wisse Moving’ services?

You can find our terms and conditions here.