Budget for Moving
If you’re planning a move, the best way to start is to contact with a professional moving company and get a budget for moving. It is important to have an expert assess you, and simplify the process of moving.
You can discuss preferences with a moving consultant. You will have to decide on the goods you want to move. If you’re moving to another continent, you might want to reduce the volume of your goods in order to reduce the price. This is especially the case for part-load moves, or airfreight. Sometimes it’s a good idea not to move inexpensive or IKEA-style furniture to another country.
Packaging of boxes
Another desicion you would have to make is whether you pack your own boxes. A professional mover can also take care of the packaging of personal items in boxes. It would be a good thing to consider once you’re prepaing a budget for moving. The advantages of having your packaging done by a professional are many:
- You save a lot of time.
- You don’t have to buy packing materials separately
- The packaging will be done professionally
- The transport insurance would cover breakages inside boxes
How to estimate the volume
An important factor of the budget for moving is the volume of your goods. Usually, the bigger the volume, the higher the price. Especially in part-load moves the difference between one volume or another can be significant. But how can you estimate the volume of your move? This in fact is quite easy:
- A pre-move survey by video call. You install an app, set a time with your moving consultant, and you can show him/her your goods with your smartphone. This is a very efficient and fast way to have the volume of your goods estimated. You can plan a video call anytime, and you don’t have to receive anyone in your home. A video call can also be set up from one moment to another, at the time it suits you. Another advantage is ecological: there is no need for the consultant to travel to your home. Even if you live in another country than the moving consultant, or in a remote area, it would be possible to have a professional estimate the volume and prepare the move properly.
- You can email a list of your goods to the moving company.
- It is possible to do a physical pre-move survey to your home. This is a good option if you have a very large amount of goods, or many very delicate objetc that need crating or special wrapping. For most moves a survey by video call is the best option though.
A detailed proposal your move.
After the volume is estimated, your mover can prepare a detailed proposal for your move. Apart from the volume, other factors that have to be taken into account are:
- The addresses. It is important to know whether a small or a large truck can get to your residence. Also we would have to forsee if an outside elevator is needed. In most places a parking permit would also be required.
- The services you require. The price is not the same if you have all the boxes already prepared, or if you need a service with packaging. Your moving company can also disassemble and assemble your furniture if required.
- Are there especially delicate or valuable items? Sometimes delicated ornaments, or valuable paintings would need special wrapping, or even crating, in order to get them safely to their destination.
- Are there especially heavy or bulky items? If you have a piano, massive wooden furniture, or a huge double-door fridge, special equipments might be necessary. We might have to use more porters, or maybe a crane or outside elevator. It is not recommendable to move especially heavy items like a piano yourself. The piano and the property are likely to get damaged, and you have a big chance of hurting yourself in the process!
- Do you need insurance? Just ask your consultant about the rates and other options.
- Do you need storage? Wisse Moving offers storage all over the world.
Budget for moving in writing
We advise always to get a proposal in writing from a legitimate company. Wisse Moving prepares a quote in writing for all our clients. All the inclusions and exclusions are detailed. The payment methods are clear.
It is also important to make sure that the company is legitimate. There a many moving companies, and many different prices. It might be a warning sign if the price quoted is very low: the workers might not have insurance, or might not even have a contract or any experience in moving whatsoever. Some companies offer services without VAT: this is illegal, and risky for the person that is moving. You would not have any security that your move would arrive safe at its destination. If something goes wrong you would have no way of claiming. We recommend always to ask for a formal invoice. An indicator that you are dealing for a legitimate company is that it is a member of an association of movers, such as the IAM.