Moving to Australia from Spain

Moving to Australia
Moving to Australia

Wisse Moving can assist you if you’re moving to Australia from Spain. Australia, with its over 25 million inhabitants, is a very popular moving destination. The unemployment rate is only just over 5%, which make Australia an interesting option to move to. Wisse Moving has helped hundreds of individuals and families relocate to Australia since 2009.

How to get a quote for moving to Australia

If you are planning to move to Australia from Spain, you would have to start with getting a quote. Wisse Moving make a personalised, free and detailed proposal for each particular client. Once you contact us we would set a meeting by videocall and you can show us your belongings. We would make an estimate of the volume, and would prepare a quote based on your situation. We can also advise you of the best way of doing the move. Getting you the best possible solution for your move is our main goal.

What to expect of your move with Wisse Moving

Wisse Moving offer a door-to-door solution if you’re moving to Australia from Spain. We can collect in Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Alicante, Málaga or any other place in Spain. Packaging of boxes and wrapping of furniture are usually taken care of by us. We will also take care of customs clearance, both in Spain and in Australia, and we will deliver you goods into your new home. We have agents all of Australia. With our network, we can take care of your move to Sydney, your move to Melbourne, Brisbane or any other place. You will have a dedicated move manager, who will be your point of contact during the whole process.

  • Cindy S. ★★★★★
    Absolutely perfect from moving day in Spain to delivery in USA. Extremely happy with their service. Highly recommended!!!!
  • Stephanie S. ★★★★★
    Within 3 days everything was picked up in Amsterdam The Netherlands and moved to Madrid Spain. Excellent care for my belongings, great packaging to make sure everything stays in a good condition and also very responsive. A move abroad without … More any stress!
  • andy B. ★★★★★
    We used Wisse Moving in August 2022 to pack and put our belongings in storage in Madrid for 7 months. In March 2023 we moved back to the UK. We dealt with Rene throughout this process and he was great, always available friendly and professional. … More After unpacking we realized what a wonderful job of packing they did, we had NO breakages! Thank you Rene and your team. I would definitely use them again!

Different ways to carry out your move

There are different ways to carry out your move to Australia. Depending on the volume of your goods, there are three options:

By Sea

  • In a sea container. After packaging, we would load your goods in a sea container, only for your belongings. This is a great option if you move boxes and furniture. There are weekly container ships from Spain to Australia. Normally, the transit time from port to port would be between 50 – 60 days, depending on the availability of containers and ships. Bear in mind that the transit time is not exact science; delays may occur due to customs inspections, strikes, bad weather, changes in routes by the shipping lines etc. etc. Upon arrival of the container to the port of destination the goods will undergo quarantine inspection. It usually takes 2 – 3 weeks before your container clears customs upon arrival and delivery can be scheduled.
  • In a part-load sea container or LCL. After packaging, we would crate your goods into a liftvan. A liftvan is a cardboard, palletised crate, especially designed for moving. There are many advantages for using a cardboard crate instead a wooden crate. The liftvan is easy to assemble, light weight, adaptable in height, more economical, and does not need fumigation. It is just as resistant as a wooden crate. After crating, your goods would be transported in a sea container together with other goods. This is a good option if you don’t have many items and no furniture. From volumes between 1 and 12 cubic metres this is usually the most cost-effective option. The part-load container option is just as safe as the full sea container option. The transit time is usually also around 50 – 60 days from port to port.

By Air

  • Airfreight. This option is for small quantities only. For moves between 1 and 2 cubic metres this would be a possibility to consider. The cost is usually much higher than sea freight, but is is also much faster: from you home in Spain to the airport at destination it would only take around a week (depending on availability of space on the planes!!). Bear in mind that upon arrival your goods will be quarantine inspected by Customs. This might take more than a week before we can deliver into you home. The time it takes for the inspection depends entirely on Australian Customs.

A liftvan
A liftvan

Customs clearance in Australia

Wisse Moving will take care of customs clearance both in Spain and in Australia. In order to import your goods into Australia, the following documents would be required:

  • Copy of passport (photo and signature page)
  • Completed Australian Customs form B534
  • Copy of visa or e-visa approval (non-citizens)
  • Detailed inventory / packing list (Wisse Moving will prepare the packing list)
  • Alcohol inventory, if applicable
  • Sea waybill / air waybill (Wisse Moving will take care of this)
Moving to Sydney
Moving to Sydney

Restricted/Dutiable/prohibited Items for importing in Australia

The following items cannot be imported in Australia, or cannot be included in the container or air shipment. On alcohol services tax applies. Note that this list is not complete, and should only be used as a rough guide. You can find more information regarding importing your move into Australia on this website.

  • Alcohol:
    • Customs duties plus goods and services tax (GST) will apply to alcohol imported into Australia.
    • Duty is calculated on the type of alcohol, the volume contained per bottle, the alcohol % per bottle and the value per bottle.
    • Ten percent (10%) GST is then added to the duty calculated.
  • Anabolic and androgenic substances (those that enhance muscle and bone growth and may include health supplements)
  • Antibiotics
  • ANZAC and any related advertising material
  • Items bearing an image of the Australian national flag and coat of arms
  • Items bearing an image of the Australian state or territory flags and coat of arms
  • Asbestos
  • Cat and dog fur products
  • Glazed ceramic ware (specific to lead content)
  • Diamonds
  • Chewing tobacco and snuff in quantities greater than 1.5 kg
  • Cigarette lighters (up to five lighters acceptable if over 18 years or older on a ship or aircraft)
  • Cosmetics and toxic materials (cannot contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead but may contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead acetate designed for use in hair products)
  • Counterfeit credit cards
  • Crowd control equipment (antipersonnel sprays, body armour, extendable batons, electric shock devices, etc.)
  • Cultural heritage goods from Papua New Guinea (permission from the Trustees of the Papua New Guinea Public Museum and Art Gallery is required)
  • Dog collars designed to puncture or bruise an animal’s skin
  • Firearms and accessories, parts, magazine, ammunition, components of ammunition, and replica
  • Novelty erasers (resembling food in scent or appearance)
  • Electronic flyswatters and mosquito bats
  • Growth hormones, medicines, drugs and substances of human or animal origin

Also do not take:

  • Hazardous materials
  • Hydroflurocarbons
  • Incandescent lamps
  • Knives and daggers
  • Laser pointers
  • Novelty money boxes coated with material containing more than 90 mg/kg of lead
  • Ozone depleting substances and synthetic greenhouse gases
  • Pencils and paintbrushes with a coating that contains excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium
  • Pesticides and other hazardous chemicals
  • Polychlorinated Biphenyls, Terphenyls and Polyphenyls
  • Pornography and other objectionable materials
  • Radioactive substances
  • Toys containing excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium
  • Woolpacks
  • Animals or plants
  • Trade Practices Act goods
  • Embryo clones and viable materials, and any related advertising matter advertising these items
  • Suicide devices
Loading a car into a container
Loading a car into a container

Shipping vehicles to Australia

In some cases it would be possible to include your car or motorcycle in your move to Australia. In case the Australia legislation allows it, we would load your vehicle in the same container as your household goods. The vehicle would be duly secured in the container, and we offer insurance in case of accidents during the transport.

An import permit is required to import a vehicle into Australia

All motor vehicles, motorcycles and trailers imported into Australia require an Import Approval permit from the Department of Infrastructure before they can be shipped. The process of importing the vehicle is clearly explained on this website.

Most motor vehicles and motorcycles will require the payment of duty and/or GST to Australian Customs. The value of duty can vary depending on the age, value and origin of a vehicle. It is important to be fully aware of this cost and all other requirements, thus it is absolutely essential clients visit the Australia Customs website to find detailed information.

All vehicles will be inspected

All motor vehicles, motorcycles and trailers will require a physical internal and external inspection upon arrival to Australia by the Department of Agriculture to ensure they are clean and free of any quarantine risk material. This is a service that we will arrange for clients as part of our process, however if any risk material is found in and/or on their motor vehicle, motorcycle or trailer then additional cleaning services may be required and incur additional expenses.

All vehicles will have to meet the Australia Design Rule (ADR) compliance

All motor vehicles, motorcycles, and trailers need to have an Australian Design Rule (ADR) compliance and as such will require an examination by a registered engineer to ensure that all specifications are met. Thereafter clients will need to obtain a Safety Certificate and then finally registration for use on the road.